Monday 29 August 2011

frogs at the door

I think I've mentioned before that I have a healthy population of frogs in the garden which is great for keeping down the slugs and snails. Anyway, last night when I went to the back door to let out the dog for her last pee there was a frog staring up at me as if wanting to come in!


Apologies for the pic but it was dark.

I don't know if they are attracted by the light inside the house or if they just want some company but they are often waiting there.

Those of you who regularly read my blog will know I'm a serial recycler and I've been at it again. Last week we got a new bookcase. Yes, another bookcase and it was a self-assembly thing with some nice sheets of expanded polystyrene in the packing. They have been put to good use lining the sides of an old supermarket produce tray to give some protection from the hard frosts we seem to be experiencing in winter now. 

I'll put four strawberry plants in the tray and bring them into the greenhouse over winter to give an early crop next year. The big problem with growing in containers in very cold weather is that the frost can easily get through the thin sides and freeze the compost solid. Hopefully this insulation will help.

I'm still sowing and planting out as space comes available but it's only fast growing crops now. Here's some Chinese cabbage almost ready to go out.


I've also sowed some Pak Choi in one of the 'square foot' blocks. Never had any success with it before as they always bolt but I'll keep trying till I run out of seeds. Then I'll probably buy another packet as it looks so good and I don't like to be beaten by a vegetable!!

No comments:

Post a Comment