Wednesday 7 September 2011

windfalls

Unfortunately not windfalls as in profits or legacies from elderly relatives. These are the result of recent high winds.

I’ve been out picking up windfall apples. Most are not quite ready yet but will be fine as an addition to jams and chutneys. Looks like I’m going to be busy over a hot stove for a while.

Taking the advice of Stephen Shirley I gave a good helping of wood ash to all my soft fruit last spring. Yields have been fantastic and the autumn raspberries are no exception.


Many of the fruit are over 3cm long and very juicy. I just hope I can harvest them before the birds.

My tomato crop this year has been a bit of a failure, largely down to one variety, costoluto fiorentino, which seemed to suffer badly from blossom end rot then succumbed to botrytis. The feeding and watering regime has been the same for all the tomatoes so that one is a definite no-no for me in future. The old favourites Roma and Shirley have given good crops but I won't have as many for preserving as in previous years. Actually that might not be such a bad thing. I won't have to make so much chutney!!

No comments:

Post a Comment