Tuesday 14 August 2012

flat out...

....not on my back but at work in the garden and the kitchen. Well, it felt like flat out to me but I suppose most folks would consider it a little gentle exercise!

After more than a week of decent weather there is just so much to do.  I guess all British gardeners have been hoping for some relief after a miserable summer. So there's the inevitable weeding, summer pruning, planting out of winter veg. and harvesting all the maturing crops. And it's not just the harvesting but all that's involved in preserving for the winter. The freezer is filling up nicely and I've made some pickles but there's a load still to be done.
After cleaning and prepping, these turnips and cabbage are now in the freezer  

I'm growing melons and squash this year and noticed the first baby melon yesterday. Not sure how it's going to perform but it's in among the cucumbers in the greenhouse and being treated the same as they are. 



Talking of cucumbers, how's this for a  curly cue
I bet you won't find one like this in a supermarket!

That's it for now. The trouble with being out in the fresh air all day is that you get that lovely warm glow and want to just curl up in bed!



1 comment:

  1. That's the great thing when growing your own you realise what veg actually looks like, and it ain't the rubbish touted in the supermarkets. Cracking crops, I'd love to have a go at melons myself one day.

    ReplyDelete