Friday 14 October 2011

runners

Spent part of today potting up strawberry runners. I've done about thirty so far and there's loads more which I'll offer to a couple of local charity shops if they'll take them.

 I've got more strawberry plants than I can use but I just hate the thought of composting them. If anyone can get to north-west Cumbria and wants some they'll be more than welcome to take what they need.

While I was furtling around among the plants I found one in flower and with small fruits developing. They're not going to come to anything now but it does illustrate what a funny old year it's been.


The autumn rasps are still fruiting like mad and I'm putting a small tubful in the freezer every couple of days. I'll figure out what to do with them later.

For some reason there's been an abundance of bird life in the garden today. Not just the usual sparrows, thrushes and blackbirds but a couple of robins, half a dozen blue-tits, a wren, two goldfinches and a chaffinch. I think they might have been sussing out the plot ready for a dawn raid. I'll probably wake tomorrow to find everything gone :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment