Sunday 28 April 2013

spuds coming along nicely

The greenhouse potato crop is looking very healthy, even though we haven't yet had a lot of sunshine.

They've been growing away for 10 weeks now so I had a 'furtle' round under the compost and found plenty of small tubers. The biggest was about the size of a pigeon's egg so I'll leave them another week or two and give them some tomato feed. For the last couple of years I've had my first picking the last week in April but the cold spring has delayed that eagerly awaited event this time.

In between showers today I managed to pot up some lettuces which will stay in the these pots for some nice early heads. The CCA lettuce I plant 3 or 4 to a large pot and pull the leaves as required.
Little Gem and AYR lettuce
Another early container crop is beetroot which I absolutely love. After the disaster with the hailstorm the other day I'm glad I have a few tubs growing in the greenhouse for some sweet baby beets at the start of the season.

We had a couple of magpies hopping about on the back lawn today and, according to the old saying, it's two for joy. We could certainly do with some of that to kick-start the gardening year.

No comments:

Post a Comment